Ikhlaq Sidhu CV
- Email: email@example.com
- California Memorial Stadium, Room 122, 1923 Gridiron Way
Berkeley CA 94720
Positions and Appointments
- Chief Scientist and Founding Director, Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology, College of Engineering, University of California, Berkeley (since 1/2005).
- Faculty Committee for Lawrence Hall of Science, UC Berkeley since 2016
- Board of Trustees of the Hamad Bin Khalifa University, Qatar, since 2016
- Faculty Director’s Council, Jacob’s Institute of Design, UC Berkeley since 2015.
- Venture Advisor, Onset Ventures, 3/2012
- Fellow, Applied Innovation Institute, since 7/ 2012 (501.3c)
- Founding Chief Scientist, Coleman Fung Institute for Engineering Leadership, University of California Berkeley (1/2010-4/2014).
- Professor of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, University of California Berkeley. Awarded “2009 Emerging Area Professor” May 2009. Appointed as Adjunct Full Professor in 2005.
- Founder, Innovation Engineering, Advisory Practice, 2010.
- Co-chair, Management of Technology Program, University of California Berkeley, 2008-9.
- Visiting Associate Professor, General Engineering and Director of the Technology Entrepreneur Center, University of Illinois (2002-2004)
- Chief Technical Officer and Vice President, Cambia Networks Inc., (1/2001-4/2002)
- Director – Vice President, 3Com Corporation / U.S. Robotics Internet Communications Business (1995-2001)
- Director, Advanced Technologies Research Center, US Robotics / 3Com Corporation (1995-1998)
- Hardware Engineer, Hewlett Packard, (1989-1991)
Selected Honors and Activities
- Best Paper Presentation, ICE TEMS IEEE Conference in Technology Management, Belfast Ireland, June 2015
- Proposal Author/ Founder, Coleman Fung Institute ($15M)
- Co-PI, NSF I-Corps Bay Area Node Grant, 2013, with Rich Lyons, Steve Blank, Dave Charron, Jerry Engel, Rita Katila, Eric Lium, & Andre Marquis ($3.75M)
- Proposal Author and Founding Co-Chair, Tsinghua Global Technology Entrepreneurship Program ($1.5M)
- Proposal Author / PI 2007-2012, Kauffman Foundation Grant ($1.1M)
- 2009 IEOR Chair’s Emerging Area Professor Award, U.C. Berkeley. For playing a prominent role in developing a research and teaching presence in an area of emerging importance to the profession — Entrepreneurship and Innovation.
- 3Com Corporation’s Inventor of the year for 1999-2000.
- 61 U.S. Patents granted as of 2010.
- Awarded Silver, Inventor, U.S. Robotics, 1998, 1999
- Awarded Gold, Platinum Inventor, 3Com Corporation 1999, personally filed approximately 10% of 3Com’s claimed intellectual property as of 2001
Research and Project Interests:
Topics include engineering leadership, entrepreneurship, technology strategy, technology business models, quantitive technologies, and algorithms to solve business problems and improve firm operations. Recent project areas include “Quant” strategies for financial investment, new algorithms for business operations, machine learning applications, electric vehicle networks, and leadership issues in managing large data sets.
At UC Berkeley, Ikhlaq Sidhu serves as chief scientist and founding director of the highly successful Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology since 2005. He has also been the founder and first chief scientist of the Fung Institute for Engineering leadership. Prof. Sidhu teaches and advises projects graduate, undergraduate, and professional programs. In 2009, he received a recognition as the Emerging Area Professor of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research for his contribution to this new research and teaching area at UC Berkeley. His technical areas of interest include “quant” algorithms for entrepreneurship, investment funds, business problems, and firm operations.
- Co-founded, developed, and codified the Berkeley Method of Entrepreneurship, a holistic method of teaching and promoting Entrepreneurship including tactics, mindset, and infrastructure.
- Created the Engineering Leadership professional program only for rising-star, senior-level, engineering leaders in Silicon Valley, an incredibly successful program. Top firms such as Samsung, Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Cisco, Network Appliances, VMware, Lam Research, Qualcomm, and Applied Materials send their high level engineering leaders to this Berkeley program for skill development.
- As founding director, developed the Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology at UC Berkeley, the world’s #1 public university.
- Developed and proposed the T-Model curriculum structure of the Master’s of Engineering (M. Eng.) degree and founded the Fung Institute for Engineering Leadership.
- Created the industry-research collaborative labs and projects that have been adopted as capstone projects in the M. Eng. degree as well as the basis for the Industry Challenge models in the Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology.
- Overall, established the leading Engineering Leadership, Entrepreneurship, and Technology Innovation programs at U.C.Berkeley and internationally recognized partner institutions. Developed thought leadership, curricula, programs and research agenda. Raised over $20M of external support.
Within industry, Ikhlaq Sidhu serves as a venture advisor to Onset Ventures, a $1B Silicon Valley investment firm. He is also a Fellow of the Applied Innovation Institute, which connects industry leaders with experts and resources at academic institutions around the globe. He has established new businesses and developed new technologies at U.S. Robotics Corporation, 3Com Corporation, and Cambia Networks. He was awarded 3Com’s “Inventor of the Year” award in 1999, and has been granted over 60 US Patents in networking technology, IP telephony, and PDA functionality. Technology and intellectual property from his work has been cross-licensed to Palm Computing, 3Com, and UT Starcom. Sidhu also designed hardware for the first generation of laser printers at Hewlett Packard.
- Created and headed the advanced technology development program and spin out businesses for a $1B networking business.
- Conceived and established seminal Internet Communications business for network industry-leading Fortune 500 company including 60+ networking, communications, and services patents and kudos as Fortune 500 company Inventor of Year..
- Guided top-tier VC-funded company to become high-profile source of leading edge wireless technology as CTO.
- Authored more than 90 articles, patents, and papers in well-respected IEEE magazines and journals.
- Extensive experience developing large-scale systems and architectures, creating competitive positioning strategies, protecting and staking intellectual property, and assimilating technology, markets, and industry dynamics.
- High-caliber proficiency in data networking, communications, and signal/image processing technologies. PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Charter Member of the prestigious TIE Silicon Valley, Fellow, Applied Innovation Institute, Board of Advisors, California Center for Innovative Transportation since 2006, SEE XIX Fellow, 2003; Member IEEE since 1995, Founding Member & Board of Directors, SIP Forum
- Ph.D. (1995) Electrical and Computer Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston
- M.S. (1993) Electrical and Computer Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston.
- B.S. (1988) Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
- Scott Jordan, University of California at Irvine (Previously at Northwestern University)
- C.C. Lee, Northwestern University at Evanston